Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two Pattons

Patton on paper was funny to me. He made me smile, laugh to myself. He cursed and called the enemy humorous obscenities. He said "stuff" and "hoot in hell." He spoke on my level. And he spoke from a podium on a stage not too large. He spoke loudly to be heard over the commotion in the audience. And I enjoyed his speech. It made me like him.
Patton on video was different. He made me sit up straight in my chair. His gruff voice said many of the same words as Paper Patton, but I didn't laugh. His raiment was proof of his experience and authority. His tone demanded my attention and respect. The room, silent. He had my attention, everyone's attention. He called the enemy obscenities and I hated them. He called told me how an American acts and I was ready to do so. I was ready to fight. I was ready to follow him.

No comments:

Post a Comment