Tuesday, September 15, 2009

General Patton Speech- Textually vs. Visually

I struggled with identifying which version of General Patton’s speech I enjoyed the most. The visual representation presented a strong rhetoric argument through visual appeal. General Patton dramatically strides onto the stage from an unseen. The highly decorated general is dressed in his Class A Uniform layered with metals and tassels of honor. The room sized American Flag covers the entire wall behind the stage, almost intimidating the audience with a sense obligated patriotism. Before General Patton speaks, the audience has been delivered a solid rhetorical argument. General Patton is a man of authority, rank, and honor prepared to deliver a speech advocating American patriotism. Once he begins his speech, his voice roars in the otherwise silent room. The audience in front him is not seen to show more emphasis on General Patton’s speech, mannerisms, and background. His expressions, dramatic pauses, and gestures leave little room for misinterpretations. This brings to a place of conflict. Although, I enjoy the straightforward representation of General Patton’s speech, I also enjoy the ability to freely analyze and interpret as I am able to do with text version. When I read his speech, I did not envision a large flag or a faceless audience. I envisioned General Patton in a more intimate setting with his soldiers such as a dining facility or barrack. I saw eyes of nameless soldiers engaging with their general as he assures and motivates them. When watching the film, I missed the opportunity to imagine and interpret my own rhetorical argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment