Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Clashing of Preconceived Thoughts and Reality: Looking Through the American “Lense”

When reading “Trip to Hanoi” I saw Susan Sontag’s deliberate intent to show the conflict with the American view of the Vietnam War and North Vietnam in respect to the true reality of these topics. She states, “Like anyone who cared about Vietnam in the last years, I already knew a great deal; and I could not hope to collect more or significantly better information in a mere two weeks than was already available” (pg. 208). Upon entering North Vietnam, this thought of knowing much already and believing to learn little through the experience in Hanoi, I feel, hindered her from fully grasping new truths from a different perspective. As a student I am able to sit in a classroom to learn and discuss the effects and “truths” about the Vietnam War, I may gain much knowledge on the topic, but my perception is distorted. My sources of information are generally given from an American’s perspective; therefore, I develop partial picture of the realities of the war.

When reading this excerpt, Susan repeatedly showed me the damaging effects of entering a different country with many preconceived notions. For instance, she states, “Judging for these first days, I think it’s hopeless. I can’t cross. I’m overcome by how exotic the Vietnamese are- impossible for us to understand them, clearly impossible for them to understand us.” (Pg. 223) This section shows a beautiful example of when preconceived thoughts and beliefs meet the reality of different perspective. Sontag is bombarded with a hopeless, discontented feeling as she struggles to connect with her experience. Looking into a society with an American “lense” causes us to disconnect from relating with the people, culture, social norms, etc. We may never be able to look into the world with completely clear, unbias “lenses”; yet, a deliberate intent to try to clear our lenses helps us better understand some different. In particular, American perceptions can be an extremely hinder acclimating to a different society because the American society is so unique. Our culture is unlike many others because of many factors including: the ethnic diversity, politics, and history. Therefore, wearing an American “lense” can easily make you and the new society feel unrelatable.

I enjoyed Sontag’s rhetorically showing the conflict that occurs when we contrast our American ideals and thoughts on the Vietnam War with the North Vietnamese perception. It was enlightening to see the dramatic disconnect with Americans and the North Vietnamese. She moved me to further explore this conflict and attempt to look for some resolution to these societal disconnects. How are we to abandon our beliefs and thoughts to blindly enter North Vietnam? It could not be wise or even possible to eliminate all our preconceived notions. Sontag states in the last line of the excerpt, “So I discover that what happened to me in North Vietnam did not end with my return to America, but is still going on” (Pg.274). I see the resolution to be an attempt to momentarily clear our minds of oppositional thoughts and indulge ourselves in the new experience. We should make conscious efforts to acclimate and understand different ideas, norms, and perspectives. Then, afterwards, self-reflect and once again grab hold of our beliefs and thoughts. I believe if more individuals practice these methods, then, perhaps people across the world will be less disconnected and more understanding of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment