Monday, November 9, 2009

Up, Simba...

This was easy, yet difficult read. DFW made his ideas flow in way that lead one idea into another making it easy to follow what he was saying. The mass amount of abbreviations made this read very difficult for me. I kept forgetting what certain acronyms stood for and had to repeatedly go to the page were he listed all the abbreviations.

With the amount of abbreviations, the numerous facts about people aged 18-35 and voting, and the fact that this article was published in the Rolling Stone magazine, I think it’s safe to say that this article is intended for the younger adult crowd. If you tie the ease of reading this article with the previous observations it makes this article attract a younger crowd because it grasps their attention and keeps it.

While reading this I felt that DFW was very sarcastic. His disclaimer in the foreword and the “Who Cares” section really put a smirk on my face. While reading I got this “I don’t care what you think. I’m just writing this because they asked me to. So now I’m going to report the stuff I saw and how I perceived it,” attitude.

Even though DFW said this article wasn’t pro- or anti-McCain, you get this underlying rhetoric that it’s making you want to vote for him. He adds pathos appeal by telling us about McCain’s POW years. It even made me want to sit back and say wow…this man has been through a lot. But then again I get that sarcastic tone from DFW that’s saying “they guy has been through a lot…just vote for him,” which makes this article confusing on whether this article is completely sarcasm or if it’s a deeper meaning that we need to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment