Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bob D

Bob Dylan has always been one of those artists that I hear about but never really listened to his music nor, ever realized if I was listening to his music. Growing up in a different era being exposed to a completely different genre of music. I'm used to hearing old school songs from artists like Luther Vandross who created a new sound for R&B and older artists like Al Green that talked about love and that good "soul music" that African Americans grew to love culturally.

However, I didn't grow up in a little bubble that consisted of only African American artists but I was definitely exposed to other artists like for instance, my mom loved Bruce Springsteen and she constantly blared his music in our garage as she pulled up from work. Nevertheless, Bob Dylan, as I expressed earlier, has always been one of those names floating around. However, after listening to his music, I don't know why. Maybe, I'm just missing the magic of his music and who knows, it could be the fact that I'm from a different era and am accustomed to music of different sound, as well as music with a different message.

After listening to A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall I felt a bit confused of the overall message. While some lines made sense other left me baffled and unable to figure out what exactly this means...I mean, a highway of diamonds with nobody on it? Nonetheless, I came to discover the message to seem to be about a parent who was looking for their "blue-eyed son” and along the way came across a slew of obstacles in the world. This to me alluded to a deeper message of the dilemmas and turmoil in this country. For instance, a young woman whose body was burning and ten talkers whose tongues were all broken. Nevertheless my problem still stands that while there is a message it seems to a bit hard to decipher at times because it seems like Dylan just decided to play a song and make up some lyrics, some go some don’t and that’s just my opinion and like I said maybe its because I’m not on “that level” or perhaps because I’m from another generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment